1670 - The History of the Hobelin House
The building at Skeppsbron 22 in Gamla Stan, Stockholm, is called The Hobelin House but is also called Sundströmska huset. The Hobelin House is named after the merchant Johan Paul Hobelin and was built in 1670, based on the drawings of the famous architect Nicodemus Tessin. In 1767, the building was renovated according to the fashion of the time by the then owner Eric Osterman, who was a merchant and ironmonger.
Another hundred years later, a complete renovation was made that completely changed the appearance of the house by architect Johan Fredrik Åbom. In 1924, the last renovation was made and the Hobelin house got its current appearance. In 1909, Nyman & Schultz moved into the building as the first tenants. Soumibyrån, Stockholm and Scandinavia's first foreign tourist office have also housed here, they opened their doors in the house in 1926.
Today, Hotel Gamla Stan is run by Vi Invest AB, a company in the hotel and real estate industry. The hotel has been carefully renovated to preserve the history of that house. Stockholm's old city wall has once passed through the hotel's buildings. The old murals and ceiling paintings from that time have been preserved and can be viewed in some of the hotel's rooms. Beautiful hand-painted patterns from a bygone era.